1) Research – This is an often ignored step which will largely determine the performance of the website. Conducting research on keywords and keyphrases can disclose where competition is heavy and where opportunities exist. This research will define the terms that can drive targeted traffic as opposed to just traffic in numbers. Specific search terms which can deliver targeted traffic are likely to be more cost effective and convert at much higher rates.
2) Pages on the site should be designed to engage visitors immediately with content that is relevant to the search term that brought them. Page design should be such that the relevant content is above the fold, meaning that visitors won’t have to scroll down to see it.
3) Content must be well written in order to capture visitors as opposed to catering to scoring with the search engines. Awkward text which repeats keywords will turn off visitors and send them searching for professionally written content on other sites.
4) The site should have consistently fresh and relevant content. This will keep the search engines happy, motivate visitors to return, and attract new traffic.
5) Make sure that navigation is simple and clear with pages that load quickly. This is another aspect which focuses on giving visitors the best experience possible while on the site. Keep in mind that Frames, Flash and AJAX do not allow links to other pages which can prove to be a negative for navigation.
6) Visitors need to be prompted toward conversion. This requires that pages have a series of clear calls to action which are easy to follow. The path to conversion should be streamlined as well so that once the decision to purchase has been made, the process of buying is fast and simple.
While complete on site SEO takes considerably more than these six steps, this checklist will provide a solid foundation to either build or re-design a website. SEO LLC provides customized search engine optimization solutions to small, medium, and large businesses. For more information, visit http://www.searchengineoptimization-llc.com/ or call (866) 530 7703.